There was an error in this gadget

Friday, March 1, 2013

Old But Gold: Melanie C ft. Left Eye - Never Be The Same Again (2000)

If you grew up in the 90's then you'll definitely remember the influx of girl and boy bands that made tween appropriate campy/cheesy songs. The biggest of these girl bands had to have been the Spice Girls, which I respect immensely for being able to display girl power without provocatively selling sex. Not to mention that each member in the group displayed individuality and equality with no one member being  pushed to be the solo star or the "Beyonce" as I like to say.

In the year 2000 the Spice Girls went on hiatus and during that time Melanie C AKA Sporty Spice decided to test the solo waters with the release of her debut solo album Northern Star (1999). Melanie also dropped the Sporty Spice image and cut her long hair as a form of rebirth.

I'll be honest I overlooked and dismissed all solo Spice Girl efforts except Melanie B's (Scary Spice) music and that was due to the fact that I pigeon holed myself into one musical genre, which was urban R&B at the time. Not to mention I didn't have access to the web and most of the girls music was U.K. exclusive and if you don't know by now I reside in Canada. Melanie C did however catch my attention with the release of her R&B hit, 'Never Be The Same Again' (Mar 20th 2000) featuring Lisa Lopes (Left Eye) from TLC.

'Never Be The same Again' was the third single to be released from Northern Star and the Mel C's first solo single to hit number one on the U.K. charts. I remember completely falling in love with this song and then the video, which you can watch below was so magical to me.

 


http://www.thegreatblacknorth.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment